EXAM TAKER TIPS
Before Exam Day
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT AND THE EXAMPLIFY SOFTWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY EXAMSOFT ON ITS WEBSITE PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR EXAM. PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF SUFFICIENT TIME TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH YOUR LAPTOP AND THE APPLICATION.
- Exam takers, especially bar applicants, should familiarize themselves with their laptop and Examplify’s features prior to the exam day. Exam takers who are not comfortable with the software before exam day may want to consider handwriting their exam, as there may be no administrative relief during the exam should you experience technical difficulties. Confirm that there is plenty of free hard drive space on your computer.
- Ensure that your PC is virus-free.
- Locate the A/C battery power indicator light on your laptop and confirm you can determine you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that your battery has at least 20 minutes of charge in the event there is a temporary power outage during the exam.
- Ensure that your computer’s internal clock has the correct date and time. To verify the date and time, double-click the clock in the lower-right corner of your screen.
On Exam Day
- Bring your registered laptop, a fully charged battery, and a computer power cord (if applicable).
- Use the instructions that will be provided to you on exam day to launch Examplify.
- Immediately before Examplify launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.
- ANY ATTEMPT TO DISABLE OR TAMPER WITH EXAMPLIFY’S SECURITY FEATURES WILL BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF THE APPLICANT HONOR CODE.
- Disable the sleep/hibernate mode on your computer during the exam. Some computers go into sleep/hibernate mode during extended periods of nonuse. During an exam, it can be difficult to exit this mode. Refer to the instructions for your operating system to modify these settings.
- (BAR APPLICANTS) PLEASE NOTE THAT COMMENCEMENT OF THE EXAM WILL NOT BE DELAYED DUE TO A HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PROBLEM WITH YOUR LAPTOP NOR WILL YOU BE PROVIDED ADDITIONAL TIME TO TAKE YOUR EXAM.
- If you encounter computer difficulty during the exam notify a proctor for instructions.
- DO NOT UNINSTALL EXAMPLIFY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR RESULTS.
During The Exam
Here are a few tips to improve your exam experience with Examplify. Visit our Technical Support website for more exam day resources.
Begin Exam Alert
You can set a timer to display a visible alert once your exam begins. Prior to launching an exam, access the “Preferences” screen in the Examplify Start Window to set the alert. This window can be “snoozed.”
Exam Progress Alarm
You can set a reminder alarm to appear at a specific time during the exam. Prior to launching the exam, access the “Tools” > “Reminder Alarm” menu to set the alarm. This window can be “snoozed.”
To enlarge or shrink the window in which you view the question or the answer, drag the horizontal bar tht appears between the question and answer areas of your screen up or down to suit your needs.
To block your Examplify window during an exam (i.e. during a restroom break), select “View” then “Hide Exam.”
Use the “Restore Settings” option on the View menu if you have rearranged the window and cannot get it back to the starting configuration.
Some essay questions may have a character limit. You can see the character count of any essay answer in the status bar at the bottom of the Examplify window. If a limit is imposed, it will be displayed in the lower left corner next to the question number.
Examplify provides a word count for essay answers under “Tools” > “Word Count.” It includes the number of words in the current answer, total number of words in all answers, character count for current answer and character count for all answers. If text is selected in the current question, Examplify provides a word count and character count for the selection.
The ability to use the spell check feature is controlled by the test sponsor (institution or school that is administering the exam).
Cut, Copy & Paste
The ability to use the cut, copy and paste features for essay questions is controlled by the test sponsor (institution or school that is administering the exam).
Examplify can undo up to the last 50 actions in each essay response question.
Multiple Choice Questions
For multiple choice questions, the total number of response options appears in the status bar at the bottom of the main window. If all of the options aren’t visible because of your display and window configuration, use the scroll bar that appears on the left side of the screen to view all of the options.
You can view the notices that appeared prior to beginning your exam by selecting “Help” > ” Exam Notices.”
- Toggle (switch) between questions by using the blue navigation arrows or by using the keyboard combination of ‘Ctrl’ and ‘> ‘ to move to the next question or ‘Ctrl’ and ‘< ‘ to move to a previous question
- Mark questions that you want to revisit. The Question Navigator button on the button bar displays a list of all questions in a separate window.
- View unanswered questions and navigate to another question by clicking on the question number in the popup window.